Atari 8-bit family
The systems in this family are: Atari 400, 800, 5200, 1200XL, 600XL, 800XL, 130XE, 65XE, 800XE and XEGS.
The Atari 8-bit systems consists of the 6502 with custom hardware for graphics and sound.
Setting up your development platform for the Atari 8bit systems is quite easy, first get the following tools:
- Assembler: MADS Assembler - This assembler has nice macros for creating Binaries and SNA snapshot files out of the box. You can download it at https://mads.atari8.info/
- Emulator(s): I Found Altirra to work best for my usecase. Make sure to use the original Rev2 rom for best compatibility.
Special Memory Adresses
- FRAMECOUNTER_HIGH = 19
- FRAMECOUNTER_LOW = 20
Video display on the Atari 8bit systems use the ANTIC and GTIA chips. Information can be found here:
Sync with frame
RTCLOK equ $0012 lda RTCLOK+2 waits cmp RTCLOK+2 beq waits
Or if you don't mind trashing RTCLOK
RTCLOK equ $0012 waits lsr RTCLOK+2 bcc waits
Which is two bytes shorter.
Getting something on screen
;fill screen with charset,(88,89)=an address org $600; free 6th page:600-6ff ldy #0 fl: tya sta(88),y iny bne fl jmp *
To be added soon.
SDMCTL = $022f HPOSP0 = $d000 SIZEP0 = $d008 GRAFP0 = $d00d COLPM0 = $d012 FRAMECOUNTER_HIGH = 19 FRAMECOUNTER = 20 WSYNC = $d40a VCOUNT = $d40b sinewave = $0600 ; to $06ff org $80 main ; disable all graphics/colors ldx #0 stx SDMCTL ldy #$7f sty SIZEP0 ; size p0=127 ldx #0 ldy #$3f make_sine: value_lo lda #0 clc delta_lo adc #0 sta value_lo+1 value_hi lda #0 delta_hi adc #0 sta value_hi+1 sta sinewave+$c0,x sta sinewave+$80,y eor #$7f sta sinewave+$40,x sta sinewave+$00,y lda delta_lo+1 adc #8 sta delta_lo+1 bcc nothing inc delta_hi+1 nothing inx dey bpl make_sine updateloop: ; vblank lda VCOUNT bne updateloop ; clear graphics sta HPOSP0 sta GRAFP0 ldy #0 lda #47 sta COLPM0 yloop: tya ; graphics shape = y sta WSYNC sta GRAFP0 ; a = sin(frame+y)+48 tya adc FRAMECOUNTER tax lda sinewave,x adc #48 sta HPOSP0 iny bne yloop jmp updateloop run main
The Atari 8-bit use the POKEY chip to generate sound.
; from Analog, 1985-09,pp.25-32 *=$2000 AUDF1=$D200 AUDC1=$D201 AUDCTL=$D208 SKCTL=$D20F .MACRO SOUND ; voice,pitch,dist,vol;,dur lda #%2 sta AUDF1+2*%1 lda #[[%3 * 16] | %4] ;lda #[[%3 shl 4] or %4] sta AUDC1+2*%1 .ENDM lda #0 sta AUDCTL lda #3 sta SKCTL SOUND 0,121,10,8 jmp *
Make some noise
To be added soon.
Sizecoding resource for the Atari 8bit are:
- Mapping the Atari https://www.atariarchives.org/mapping/
- Atari 8bit Memory map https://www.atariarchives.org/mapping/memorymap.php
- Fready's undocumented 6502 opcodes https://github.com/FreddyOffenga/6502
- Atari OS Rev2 disassembly for MADS assembler https://github.com/ilmenit/A800-OS-XL-Rev2
- Fready's github https://github.com/FreddyOffenga/